Many people find it hard to know which contractor they should hire, so they put off the project and wait another year for it to be done. Before deciding on a contractor, it is important to choose the type of siding you want. For example, if you choose vinyl siding, you might choose a different contractor than if you decided on wood siding, or fiber cement.
In Colorado Springs, homeowners are starting to keep resale value in mind when making the decision to improve their home's exterior. As a result, more are opting to install HardieBoard ® fiber cement siding by James Hardie. ®
Why choose HardieBoard® siding over vinyl?
Style – If you are going to invest in new siding, you want it to make a noticeable improvement on your home. While both materials can give your home a clean and "finished" look, Colorado Springs HardiBoard® siding comes in a variety of wood-like textures that can be painted to meet your exact specifications.
Cost – Vinyl siding is by far the most affordable option, but HardiBoard® siding always results in higher resale value for the homeowner. In addition, fiber cement lasts a lot longer than vinyl. Even though it will cost more to switch your Colorado Springs home over to HardiBoard®, it is still less expensive than wood, brick or synthetic stucco.
Durability – While both materials are equally durable, HardiBoard® has a slight advantage in terms of flame resistance and warping. Because both materials are man-made, they are not affected by problems like mold, rot or termites.
Hiring a HardiBoard® contractor
Hiring the right team of professional siding contractors is crucial to your satisfaction with the job, and only intensive research will give you the confidence you need to move forward. Look for a company that has been in business for many years and has a strong reputation in the area. You will want to hire a contractor that guarantees their work and offers repair and replacement services in addition to the installation.
- Ask your neighbors, friends and relatives for recommendations. A personal endorsement from a satisfied customer is worth much more than a contractor's ad. You will still want to do your own research, but recommendations can shorten the process.
- Start your research online. This can be much more informative than shopping the Yellow Pages because many professional siding contractors have detailed websites that showcase their work. Study each website thoroughly and make a note of their services and contact names.
- Consider the pricing estimates you receive from each contractor and see how each of them compares to your budget. You may need to go higher than your budget if the contractor's services are worth it, but don't hesitate to ask for a discount.
- The siding contractor you select should also remove the old siding at no additional cost. Make sure this is included in their contract and will not be considered an "extra." Also, ask the contractor for details about how their team will clean up the area at the end of each work day.
- Most siding contractors will provide you with a written contract. This document should include the cost estimate, description of work to be done, payment schedules and a completion date. Read this contract carefully and ask questions about anything that is unclear.
If you want more options for beautifying your home's exterior, be sure to check out James Hardie's complete line of fiber cement siding, including HardieBoard® and HardiePlank® shingles. This material has a richer look, holds color better and dramatically increases the resale value of your home.
Heart House Creations is one of the best known siding contractors in Colorado Springs. In addition to James Hardie® cement siding, they also offer vinyl siding, replacement windows and doors. When looking for professional siding contractors specializing in fiber cement siding, Colorado Springs residents choose Heart House Creations.
Photo Courtesy of James Hardie Siding